Friday, April 23, 2010

Sweat out every tear

How do we prepare our children for life's disappointments? How do we prepare ourselves even?

I suppose that is a big part of this journey, training my body and mind to handle the ups and downs in a healthy manner, in a way that is not self destructive. In that, I need to make certain I am doing the same for my children. I have to be careful not to teach them to handle problems by making more problems. Food does not make it better, neither does hitting, neither does avoiding, neither does burying, or hating. I have to give them the right tools, so they don't have to spend half of their life fixing the damage.

My quest is not just for me, it is not just my journey. It is to teach my kids to do it right, while I still can. So I may hurt, I may be sad and disappointed, I may have too much on my plate, I may want to just sit here and feel sorry; but I won't. I'll lace up my shoes and exhaust every last muscle until I know I've done everything I can to change it. I will punch the bag to exhaust my anger; I will sweat out every tear. I will pound the pavement until my muscles shake. And when I'm done, I will have every opportunity open before me and see it clearly in my right mind. And I will help my kids do the same, tears and all.

In exhaustion,
Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment