Saturday, January 23, 2010

The little voice inside you...

I will run tomorrow morning, in the pouring rain. I will be cold and soaked, my shoes will take hours to dry out, and I will have to spend those hours cleaning up my wet mess once I return home. It will be hard to start and even harder to go the full 5k distance. I will want to quit the entire first mile. I will think of every excuse. My feet will ache from the wet socks. The cars passing by will drench me from every puddle. My skin will be clammy and cold as I peal the wet clothes from my weak body. Many of the streets I run will be flooded. The church goers will glare, the Cracker Barrel goers will laugh, the folks in their robes trying to figure out how to get to their Sunday paper will know I am insane. No one else will show up for the run. My kids and dogs won't even think of it. But I will go...


And I can't wait to do it. 


"It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit." ~ Dr. George Sheehan


I may not always be the winner, but I can sleep sound knowing I will never again be a quitter.


Bring it!


~In happiness,
Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment